Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Dear Halle Berry, (A few tips on pregnancy from someone who's been there...)


Wow, Halle, this is kind of weird. I remember watching you in Strictly Business (still one of my favorite movies) when I was younger, thinking I wanted to be just like you when I grew up. Smart, beautiful and successful.

Now I check the headlines and everyone is confirming that you are, in fact, pregnant with your first child, with your boyfriend Gabriel. Well, I'm happy for you. Happy that you will be able to experience the rush of pregnancy and motherhood that you said you wanted. Not to mention that your kid will be goregous!

You've had a lot of successes in your career thus far. Introducing Dorothy Dandridge. Monster's Ball. Boomerang. Losing Isiah. Jungle Fever. You've been great in every movie I've seen you in and now you're taking on your biggest role by far: Motherhood.

Let me tell you, as someone who's approaching her first year on the job and can vividly remember all the screaming nights (me) and fitful mornings (baby), it's no cakewalk.

It's not all rainbows and butterflies. In fact, for the first month or so (really until that little angel starts sleeping through the night), just know that you won't be yourself. You'll be stressed and tired and cranky and tired. Sleep deprivation is a method of torture, did you know that?

I know what you're thinking: I'm rich, I can hire help, It'll be fine. That may be so, but you are still the kid's mother. Every single day, it's your responsibility to care for this little one. Crazy, right?
But don't get me wrong: The positives definitely outweigh the negatives. Something about your kid's smile will melt your heart and hearing a giggle from a newborn is the most beautiful sound in the world.
Good luck, Halle! I'm rooting for you!

No comments: