Thursday, January 25, 2007

Who Needs AAA when you have God on your side?

I was leaving class today, muttering to myself that I should've worn my hat and bought that cute scarf I saw at Target because it was cold. I found my car in the crowded parking lot and opened the car and let myself in. I was instantly relieved that it wasn't as cold inside the car as it was outside.

The heater in my car, a trusty '97 Buick LaSabre, heats quickly and I was looking forward to getting that first blast of heat so I could unthaw. Key goes in the ignition, hand turns key, car no start-y. I frowned. I turned the key again. Nope. Doesn't want to start.

I turn the key five more times. The car is teasing me, giving me a steady wheeze, but it's not turning over. I lean my forehead against the steering wheel, accidentally hitting the horn, which scares the bejesus out of me.

I panicked. I have little desire to spend money to get this car fixed, especially when my bank account is shrinking so quickly it's like there's a leak in my pocket.

I pulled out my cell phone and called my dad, who was watching my daughter while my husband was at work. He didn't answer.

I called my husband. He was in a meeting, I knew, and I thought he might answer the phone. He didn't answer.

"Please Lord," I whispered. "Please let this car start, let someone answer the phone, let someone come by, anything."

I called my dad again but no answer this time either.

I leaned forward again and began to cry. I've been an emotional wreck this week and this was all I needed to put me over the edge.

As soon as I felt that first tear roll down my cheek, my phone rings. It's my dad.

I'm saved.

What I typed all this to say is that God answers our prayers. I can't count how many times when I felt like giving up and then bam! Something great happens and it turns my whole outlook around.

I forget what song it was, but the lyrics stayed with me:
He may not come when you want Him, but He'll be there right on time

Ain't that the truth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart I'm so glad both of your fathers(earthly and heavenly) were there right on time .

Paris David said...

You know that's right! God started my truck the other day when it quit in the car wash.

Hey Tara, how about all this snow? I think it's beautiful...and at least the sun in shining...

T.P. Jefferson said...

Oh Paula I'm freezing! If I wasn't squinting so much while walking around out there I might be able to enjoy it.

JD said...

I have had times when I had the same worries you had with your car,broke again, the car and me, cold out, would not start, you feel loney like you are the only one, keep hope alive, we all have been there. God is the answer!