Friday, January 12, 2007

On December 3, 2006, the Museum of the Moving Image honored Will Smith with a star-studded gala for his impressive body of work. From his role as the goofy sidekick Tea Cake in Made in America to his Oscar-nominated performance as “The Greatest” in Ali, his work has spanned all genres and he has been a success in everything he has touched. Some of his career highlights include winning the first Grammy awarded to a rap artist, a six-year stint as the Fresh Prince, roles in multiple blockbuster movies, and a transition behind the scenes as executive producer of “All of Us.” King Midas indeed.

The tribute to Mr. Smith was well-timed and well orchestrated. Some of Will’s co-stars, including Queen Latifah and Alfonso Riberio (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Jamie Foxx (Ali), Eva Mendes (Hitch) and Bridget Moynahan (I, Robot) were on hand to give thanks to the man who has enhanced their careers and shown them more love. “You inspire me…you are a role model, I love you, thank you,” Moynahan said. Clips of Will’s best films were displayed on the big screen, and Will, forever humble, displayed ultimate grace and sophistication.

Will is in great company, as the Museum of the Moving Image has also honored Hollywood heavyweights Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, among others.

Catch reruns of the show tonight at 7:00 p.m., Sunday, January 14 at 10:00 a.m. & 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, January 16 at 12:30 a.m. and Thursday, January 18 at 7:30 p.m.


While watching MMI’s salute to Will Smith, I experienced a newfound respect for the man. After viewing the work he’s done, the decisions he’s made, the awards he’s won, the life he’s led, I just sat there in awe.

The life he’s made for himself is incredible. After looking at his IMDB.com page, he’s only made less than 20 movies, which is amazing considering the amount of fame and success he’s had. If it’s a Will Smith movie, regardless of who else is in it or what the plot is, it’ll be huge. I know if I see Will in a movie trailer, I’m already thinking about when I’m going to see it. He’s simply incredible. I don’t know him but if I did, I have the feeling he would be one of my best friends. He just gets “it.” He gets what is really important in life. I remember when I really truly fell in love with Will. During the Oscars, the year he was nominated for his role in Ali, his daughter was sick and the babysitter called to let them know. Will and Jada left the Oscars to be with her, making it clear that the priority was family that night.

I just…admire him so much. And Jada too. I know I’m rambling here, but I want to wake up at 40 and have that: career success, a wonderful husband, great, talented children, financial security, etc. It must be good to be Will.

1 comment:

Paris David said...

I know, I can't wait to see Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness...he's amazing. I hope him and Jada are growing closer to God by the minute. And I hope my post about the Google Adsense words makes us all rich! Take care, Paula