Friday, March 30, 2007

An oldie but goodie...

I wrote this post at my old blog address www.shoeaddict19.livejournal.com. I wrote it Christmas Eve when I was bored. But I went back to the site and dug around and realized that everything I wrote then is still true. That is amazing to me.

****************************************************************************

I know I probably did this same post back around Thanksgiving, but I'm waiting for my parents to get back so I can go to the store to do some last-minute shopping (even though I remember telling them that I needed the car early this morning, but that's neither here nor there at this point) and I have nothing better to do. Seriously. It's either this or washing dishes. And you know writing always trumps putting my hands on a bunch of funky dishes.

So what am I thankful for? (This is by no means in order)

I'm thankful for the fact that I've (sort of) maintained my weight over this year, because usually my weight flucuates like nobody's business. I'm still in the 135 area, give or take a few pounds in either direction.

I'm thankful that I have had some wonderful professors who demanded the best of me and as a result, I have made some wonderful connections.

I'm thankful for my family. I'm thankful for my mom for working two jobs, sometimes not sleeping for a few days just so we can afford to live in the house we've been living in for 17 years. I'm thankful for my dad for being so knowledgeable and trying to do the best he can with what he has. I'm thankful for my sisters because I know I can tell them anything and get the truth from them.

I'm thankful for my boyfriend. He tells me things that I don't necessarily like to hear, but that I need to hear. He's also the reason why I smile.

I'm thankful for my health. I might not be the most athletic person in a room, but I'm not suffering from diabetes or hypertension or asthma or anything. So I'm thankful.

I'm also thankful for Rachael Ray (Food Network TV Host -- "30 Minute Meals"). I know it sounds weird to be grateful for someone who doesn't even know you, but it's true. Ever since I've gotten addicted to Rachael Ray's show, I've been trying to make a conscious decision to watch what I eat. Before Rachael, I considered restaurants an "anything goes" zone, meaning it was a special event so why deprive myself? Uh-huh. Only that I was eating 1,000 calories and 60 grams of fat per meal, which was not helping. My boyfriend would take me out to dinner a lot and let me tell you, I can eat. He'll probably even admit that I'm not the same size I was when we first hooked up. I used to be around 129, 130. I know five pounds doesn't sound like much, but it's the difference between a size 6 and size 8. (And I really hate wearing a size 8) But I thank Rachael for getting me to see that sometimes it's worth it to just stay in and cook for yourself because then you can control the calories and you can eat more! She also helped me discover that I love to cook.

Last but not least, I'm thankful for God for blessing me with this talent. It may sound a little arrogant, but I believe I have amazing talent. Not only do others affirm this belief, but I just know. When a basketball player steps up, plants his feet behind the 3-point line and shoots, and the ball just swishes through, no rolling, that is amazing. That's how I feel after I write a good article. So I'm thankful.

What are YOU thankful for?

No comments: