Thursday, February 15, 2007

Tyra marks 10th anniversary of her SI cover on Monday's show

Remember this photo?



Tyra looks so fierce on this cover! Can you believe it was 10 years ago that she landed the cover, becoming the first African-American woman to get a solo cover?

Tyra will mark the 10th anniversary of her solo Sports Illstrated cover by wearing the same bikini, with a little fabric added, instead of going on a crash diet. Amen! Work with what you have now!


Here's the article from MSN:

LOS ANGELES -- Tyra Banks marks a modeling milestone next week, and is donning a decade-old bikini to celebrate the special anniversary.

Ten years ago, Banks became the first black supermodel to appear alone on the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. The 2007 edition features 25-year-old singer-actress Beyonce on the cover wearing a yellow-and-pink bikini.

Banks, 33, recently returned to the Bahamas to recreate the shoot that landed her on the coveted cover, even wearing the same red polka dot bikini — with a few adjustments.

"I was about 140 pounds on that cover ... and I'm 161 now," the 5-foot-10 TV host told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "I'd say I looked like a stripper when I put it on."

Banks said some extra fabric was added to make the bikini a little less itsy-bitsy.

"They covered the sides of my chest so that it wasn't so much hangin' out. And they put some extenders on the sides of the bikini bottom so it fit," she said.

Last month, Banks, who hosts the syndicated "The Tyra Banks Show" and the CW network's "America's Next Top Model," was mocked on the Internet for unflattering photos showing her in a one-piece bathing suit.

In the AP Radio interview, Banks said she considered going on a crash diet before the Bahamas shoot to look the same as she did 10 years ago, but then thought better of it.

"I think there's more power in embracing what I am now and showcasing that," she said.

"I'm thinking that I should probably do this every 10 years," she continued. "So, in 2017 maybe I'll get in the swimsuit again and I'll have to get them to add a little more fabric."

Banks will show the results on Monday's episode of her talk show.



Maybe I should take a cue from Ms. Banks. Instead of fighting my natural body shape I should accept the fact that I will never ever be 125 lbs unless I starve myself. 130, maybe. But definitely not 125. I love cupcakes too much.

1 comment:

Paris David said...

That's a trip! You betta go, Tyra!

Anyway, I know I'd start eating mostly fruits and veggies if it were me preparing for an SI cover.

Good thing it's not me...