Friday, January 05, 2007

Let the job search begin!!

Senior year is almost over. One more semester and I will officially be a college graduate. So now the tough part...my job search. I've decided to look for a job in NE Ohio for the time being, seeing as how the cost of living in most big cities isn't really in my budget right now. And with a little one on my hip, it will be that much more difficult. Right now, my plan is to live a little in Ohio, learn more about the journalism industry and let my daughter have a few years where mommy and daddy aren't struggling to pay the bills because we moved to a city where the cheapest rents are at least four-figures.

My only hope is that the jobs that actually are available here open up at the right time and for that, I'm leaning on prayer to make happen. Right around April, I need that magical opening so I can get in and secure myself a job.

So will I miss college at all? No, not really. It didn't really even feel like college since I was so busy working and writing and trying to do everything on campus that I could. I was so busy in meetings that I never really had time to do those "time-honored" college traditions like your first hangover, or the first time you win at beer pong. (I think you can win a game of beer pong, but I've never played, don't know the rules, so who knows?) I've never stayed out until 6 a.m. and then slept in, consequently missing my 12:30 class. I've never even got a C when it was time for grades to come out!

I don't really feel like I had the typical "college" experience. I don't like drinking, which is something college students seem to plan their whole lives around, so I was left out of that. I hate going to clubs, which in a city like Kent, means there's nothing really left to do on a Saturday night but sit in your room and watch DVDs that you've seen over and over.

But I did some amazing things. Like I met my husband for one. I don't think it would've happened if I had been out doing all those things "typical" college students do. I went to NYC for a summer and worked for one of the largest magazines in the world, Reader's Digest. Not only did I work there, but I got published! Then I had my beautiful daughter making my life complete. So I can't say I have any regrets.

Watch out for more updates as I try to land that perfect job in a not-too-perfect job market!

No comments: