Saturday, January 06, 2007

Do I have love for New York? Eh, not really.

As a new mother, I spend a lot of my time on the couch, feeding the little one and watching TV. All this week vh1 had a mega marathon of America's Next Top Model and every so often they'd show a premiere of their newest show, "I love New York," featuring the loud-mouthed, bossy-as-all-get-out, Flavor of Love 1 and 2 runner-up Tiffany Patterson, aka New York.



Now I admit I didn't watch Flavor of Love 1, but I was glued to the TV for the last half of Flavor of Love 2. Why, I couldn't tell you. As much as I am opposed to seeing black women made to look like fools on national television, there I was, sitting on the couch, trying my darnest to smirk when inside I felt like laughing out loud. The whole premise of the show (20 women angling to get next to Flavor Flav, who at best, can be considered decent-looking) baffles my mind, yet I watched anyway.

I saw New York get sent home for the second time after showing Flav how much she could resemble her mother and I almost felt sorry for the woman. Then I heard vh1 was giving her a show of her own, allowing the foolishness I saw to continue.

What is going on? I remember when vh1 was the "old people's network," and no one under 30 even dared to watch it. But now vh1 has some of the most risque programming on television (and, dare I say it, some of the most entertaining).

The main problem I have with this show is the guaranteed foolishness and ignorance sure to appear. New York is a bossy woman. Period. There's a REASON why Flav didn't pick her and it's a reason why she's still single. I've never met her, but she seems impossible to get along with. The men in the house must be missing some screws if they seriously want to get with her. Even if they don't really want "the chance of a lifetime" to be Mr. New York and are just on the show to be on TV, the chances of them acting a fool are even greater.

Now, with all that said, I probably will check out an episode or two. Let's hope that I'm wrong about all this.

No comments: