Friday, March 16, 2007

BET to receive an upgrade?

I don't really remember exactly when I stopped watching BET. Maybe it was freshman year of college, senior year of high school. I'm not sure.


But I do know that I outgrew the channel. There just wasn't anything interesting enough to keep me coming back day after day. I had seen all the Jamie Foxx and In Living Color episodes the first time they came on. The music videos were all the same - it's like they said, "[Insert name of rapper] stand here, big-booty girl dance there, bring in the insanely expensive jewelry and rented cars, throw your cash around......aaannnnddd ACTION!" Every single time.


But now the Washington Post is reporting that BET is getting a boost in funds for original programming. Which is great news to me. I think BET is having the same problems as Ebony and some of the other black media outlets. They've done the same thing for so long that are on the verge of being obsolete. What's current about BET? Nothing really.

In the Washington Post article, they talk about some new shows, such as "Wifey" starring Queen Latifah and Terrence Howard. An animated show voiced by Vin Diesel is also in the works.

But what about news? Good movies? Specials with our favorite entertainers that actually make us think? I hope BET can make some much-needed changes. I'm excited to see what will come of it...

3 comments:

Charreah said...

well that's GREAT to hear! The one time my TV happen to land their I saw a commericial for a new show coming called "Hot Ghetto Mess" - ironically what BET has evolved into . . .with Fox news doing the job enough, we dont need our own to bring us down too

Martin Lindsey said...

I'm with you on all the sentiments Tara. It's about time! It's like we talk about in the blogosphere all the time. More content and less fluff please.

And a design compliment to you too. I like your bookshelf link list. I had considered doing something like this myself. I may go ahead an try it out. Not sure where I'd put it though. A little tidying in the link/archive column might be in order first.

Quick said...

You and me both...they definitely need to be more creative and original!